The way to reach the true essence of Karate-do: Five Dojo Precepts
To understand the Dojo Precepts is not easy, Karateka must strictly be trained with the clear explanation from experienced Karate Sensei. The true essence of Karate-do is not only on the physical training but also the understanding of ‘Zen’ philosophy. Without the correct advice of true Karate Sensei, Karateka cannot be able to develop and succeed in his Karate-do.
- hitotsu, jinkaku kansei ni tsutomuru koto
one, to work toward completion
(Seek perfection of character)
- hitotsu, makoto no michi wo mamoru koto
one, to protect the path of truth.
- hitotsu, doryoku no seishin wo yashinau koto
one, to nurture a spirit of hard work.
- hitotsu, reigi wo omonzuru koto
one, to give weight to courtesy and respect.
- hitotsu, kekki no yū wo imashimuru koto
one, to rein in impetuousness.
(Refrain from violent behavior)